Of the Mode and Order of Understanding
We come now to consider the mode and order of understanding. Under this head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether our intellect understands by abstracting the species from the phantasms?
- Whether the intelligible species abstracted from the phantasms are what our intellect understands, or that whereby it understands?
- Whether our intellect naturally first understands the more universal?
- Whether our intellect can know many things at the same time?
- Whether our intellect understands by the process of composition and division?
- Whether the intellect can err?
- Whether one intellect can understand better than another?
- Whether our intellect understands the indivisible before the divisible?