The Malice of the Angels with Regard to Sin
In the next place we must consider how angels became evil: first of all with regard to the evil of fault; and secondly, as to the evil of punishment. Under the first heading there are nine points for consideration:
- Can there be evil of fault in the angels?
- What kind of sins can be in them?
- What did the angel seek in sinning?
- Supposing that some became evil by a sin of their own choosing, are any of them naturally evil?
- Supposing that it is not so, could any one of them become evil in the first instant of his creation by an act of his own will?
- Supposing that he did not, was there any interval between his creation and fall?
- Was the highest of them who fell, absolutely the highest among the angels?
- Was the sin of the foremost angel the cause of the others sinning?
- Did as many sin as remained steadfast?