OF EXTREME UNCTION, AS REGARDS ITS ESSENCE AND INSTITUTION 1We must now consider the sacrament of Extreme Unction: in respect of which five points have to be considered:
- Its essentials and institution;
- Its effect;
- Its minister;
- on whom should it be conferred and in what parts;
- Its repetition.
Under the first head there are nine points of inquiry:
- Whether Extreme Unction is a sacrament?
- Whether it is one sacrament?
- Whether this sacrament was instituted by Christ?
- Whether olive oil is a suitable matter for this sacrament?
- Whether the oil ought to be consecrated?
- Whether the matter of this sacrament should be consecrated by a bishop?
- Whether this sacrament has any form?
- Whether the form of this sacrament should take the shape of a deprecatory phrase?
- Whether this is a suitable form for this sacrament?
- NINE ARTICLES