Of the Definition, Congruity and Cause of Excommunication
We must now treat of excommunication: we shall consider:
- the definition, congruity and cause of excommunication;
- who has the power to excommunicate;
- communication with excommunicated persons;
- absolution from excommunication.
Under the first head there are four points of inquiry:
- Whether excommunication is suitably defined?
- Whether the Church should excommunicate anyone?
- Whether anyone should be excommunicated for inflicting temporal harm?
- Whether an excommunication unjustly pronounced has any effect?