Of the Minister of Confession
We must now consider the minister of confession, under which head there are seven points of inquiry:
- Whether it is necessary to confess to a priest?
- Whether it is ever lawful to confess to another than a priest?
- Whether outside a case of necessity one who is not a priest can hear the confession of venial sins?
- Whether it is necessary for a man to confess to his own priest?
- Whether it is lawful for anyone to confess to another than his own priest, in virtue of a privilege or of the command of a superior?
- Whether a penitent, in danger of death can be absolved by any priest?
- Whether the temporal punishment should be enjoined in proportion to the sin?