Of Confession, as Regards its Necessity
We must now consider confession, about which there are six points for our consideration:
- The necessity of confession;
- Its nature;
- Its minister;
- Its quality;
- Its effect;
- The seal of confession.
Under the first head there are six points of inquiry:
- Whether confession is necessary for salvation?
- Whether confession is according to the natural law?
- Whether all are bound to confession?
- Whether it is lawful to confess a sin of which one is not guilty?
- Whether one is bound to confess at once?
- Whether one can be dispensed from confessing to another man?