Of the Baptism of John
We now proceed to consider the baptism wherewith Christ was baptized. And since Christ was baptized with the baptism of John, we shall consider
- the baptism of John in general;
- the baptizing of Christ. In regard to the former there are six points of inquiry:
- Whether it was fitting that John should baptize?
- Whether that baptism was from God?
- Whether it conferred grace?
- Whether others besides Christ should have received that baptism?
- Whether that baptism should have ceased when Christ was baptized?
- Whether those who received John's baptism had afterwards to receive Christ's baptism?