Of the Matter from which the Saviour's Body Was Conceived
We have now to consider the Saviour's conception. First, as to the matter from which His body was conceived; secondly, as to the author of His conception; thirdly, as to the manner and order of His conception.Concerning the first there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether the flesh of Christ was derived from Adam?
- Whether it was derived from David?
- Of the genealogy of Christ which is given in the Gospels;
- Whether it was fitting for Christ to be born of a woman?
- Whether His body was formed from the purest blood of the Virgin?
- Whether the flesh of Christ was in the patriarchs as to something signate?
- Whether the flesh of Christ in the patriarchs was subject to sin?
- Whether Christ paid tithes in the loins of Abraham?