Of the Fitness of the Incarnation
Concerning the first, three things occur to be considered: first, the fitness of the Incarnation; secondly, the mode of union of the Word Incarnate; thirdly, what follows this union.Under the first head there are six points of inquiry:
- Whether it is fitting for God to become incarnate?
- Whether it was necessary for the restoration of the human race?
- Whether if there had been no sin God would have become incarnate?
- Whether He became incarnate to take away original sin rather than actual?
- Whether it was fitting for God to become incarnate from the beginning of the world?
- Whether His Incarnation ought to have been deferred to the end of the world?