In the next place we must consider temperance:
- Temperance itself;
- its parts;
- its precepts. With regard to temperance we must consider
- temperance itself;
- the contrary vices.
Under the first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether temperance is a virtue?
- Whether it is a special virtue?
- Whether it is only about desires and pleasures?
- Whether it is only about pleasures of touch?
- Whether it is about pleasures of taste, as such, or only as a kind of touch?
- What is the rule of temperance?
- Whether it is a cardinal, or principal, virtue?
- Whether it is the greatest of virtues ?