Of Thankfulness or Gratitude
We must now consider thankfulness or gratitude, and ingratitude. Concerning thankfulness there are six points of inquiry:
- Whether thankfulness is a special virtue distinct from other virtues?
- Who owes more thanks to God, the innocent or the penitent?
- Whether man is always bound to give thanks for human favors?
- Whether thanksgiving should be deferred?
- Whether thanksgiving should be measured according to the favor received or the disposition of the giver?
- Whether one ought to pay back more than one has received?