Service by Promise
OF VOWS 1We must now consider vows, whereby something is promised to God. Under this head there are twelve points of inquiry:
- What is a vow?
- What is the matter of a vow?
- Of the obligation of vows;
- Of the use of taking vows;
- Of what virtue is it an act?
- Whether it is more meritorious to do a thing from a vow, than without a vow?
- Of the solemnizing of a vow;
- Whether those who are under another's power can take vows?
- Whether children may be bound by vow to enter religion?
- Whether a vow is subject to dispensation or commutation?
- Whether a dispensation can be granted in a solemn vow of continence?
- Whether the authority of a superior is required in a dispensation from a vow?
- TWELVE ARTICLES