Of the Parts of Justice
We must now consider the parts of justice;
- the subjective parts, which are the species of justice, i.e. distributive and commutative justice;
- the quasi-integral parts;
- the quasi-potential parts, i.e. the virtues connected with justice. The first consideration will be twofold:
- The parts of justice;
- their opposite vices. And since restitution would seem to be an act of commutative justice, we must consider
- the distinction between commutative and distributive justice;
Under the first head there are four points of inquiry:
- Whether there are two species of justice, viz. distributive and commutative?
- Whether in either case the mean is take in the same way?
- Whether their matter is uniform or manifold?
- Whether in any of these species the just is the same as counter-passion?