Of the Principle act of Charity, which is to Love
We must now consider the act of charity, and
- the principal act of charity, which is to love,
- the other acts or effects which follow from that act.
Under the first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Which is the more proper to charity, to love or to be loved?
- Whether to love considered as an act of charity is the same as goodwill?
- Whether God should be loved for His own sake?
- Whether God can be loved immediately in this life?
- Whether God can be loved wholly?
- Whether the love of God is according to measure?
- Which is the better, to love one's friend, or one's enemy?
- Which is the better, to love God, or one's neighbor?