Of the Gift of Understanding
We must now consider the gifts of understand and knowledge, which respond to the virtue of faith. With regard to the gift of understanding there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether understanding is a gift of the Holy Ghost?
- Whether it can be together with faith in the same person?
- Whether the understanding which is a gift of the Holy Ghost, is only speculative, or practical also?
- Whether all who are in a state of grace have the gift of understanding?
- Whether this gift is to be found in those who are without grace?
- Of the relationship of the gift of understanding to the other gifts;
- Which of the beatitudes corresponds to this gift?
- Which of the fruits?