Having to treat now of the theological virtues, we shall begin with Faith, secondly we shall speak of Hope, and thirdly, of Charity.The treatise on Faith will be fourfold:
- Of faith itself;
- Of the corresponding gifts, knowledge and understanding;
- Of the opposite vices;
- Of the precepts pertaining to this virtue.
About faith itself we shall consider:
- its object;
- its act;
- the habit of faith.
Under the first head there are ten points of inquiry:
- Whether the object of faith is the First Truth?
- Whether the object of faith is something complex or incomplex, i.e. whether it is a thing or a proposition?
- Whether anything false can come under faith?
- Whether the object of faith can be anything seen?
- Whether it can be anything known?
- Whether the things to be believed should be divided into a certain number of articles?
- Whether the same articles are of faith for all times?
- Of the number of articles;
- Of the manner of embodying the articles in a symbol;
- Who has the right to propose a symbol of faith?