After consideration of divine providence, we must treat of predestination and the book of life. Concerning predestination there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether predestination is suitably attributed to God?
- What is predestination, and whether it places anything in the predestined?
- Whether to God belongs the reprobation of some men?
- On the comparison of predestination to election; whether, that is to say, the predestined are chosen?
- Whether merits are the cause or reason of predestination, or reprobation, or election?
- of the certainty of predestination; whether the predestined will infallibly be saved?
- Whether the number of the predestined is certain?
- Whether predestination can be furthered by the prayers of the saints?