Of the Debt of Punishment
We must now consider the debt of punishment. We shall consider
- the debt itself;
- mortal and venial sin, which differ in respect of the punishment due to them.
Under the first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether the debt of punishment is an effect of sin?
- Whether one sin can be the punishment of another?
- Whether any sin incurs a debt of eternal punishment?
- Whether sin incurs a debt of punishment that is infinite in quantity?
- Whether every sin incurs a debt of eternal and infinite punishment?
- Whether the debt of punishment can remain after sin?
- Whether every punishment is inflicted for a sin?
- Whether one person can incur punishment for another's sin?