Of the Causes of Sin, in Particular
We must now consider the causes of sin, in particular, and
- The internal causes of sin;
- its external causes; and
- sins which are the causes of other sins. In view of what has been said above
, the first consideration will be threefold: so that in the first place we shall treat of ignorance, which is the cause of sin on the part of reason; secondly, of weakness or passion, which is the cause of sin on the part of the sensitive appetite; thirdly, of malice, which is the cause of sin on the part of the will.Under the first head, there are four points of inquiry:
- Whether ignorance is a cause of sin?
- Whether ignorance is a sin?
- Whether it excuses from sin altogether?
- Whether it diminishes sin?