Of the Irascible Passions, and First, of Hope and Despair
We must now consider the irascible passions:
- Hope and despair;
- Fear and daring;
- Anger. Under first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether hope is the same as desire or cupidity?
- Whether hope is in the apprehensive, or in the appetitive faculty?
- Whether hope is in dumb animals?
- Whether despair is contrary to hope?
- Whether experience is a cause of hope?
- Whether hope abounds in young men and drunkards?
- Concerning the order of hope to love;
- Whether love conduces to action?