Of Pain or Sorrow, in Itself
We have now to consider pain and sorrow: concerning which we must consider:
- Sorrow or pain in itself;
- Its cause;
- Its effects;
- Its remedies;
- Its goodness or malice.
Under the first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether pain is a passion of the soul?
- Whether sorrow is the same as pain?
- Whether sorrow or pain is contrary in pleasure?
- Whether all sorrow is contrary to all pleasure?
- Whether there is a sorrow contrary to the pleasure of contemplation?
- Whether sorrow is to be shunned more than pleasure is to be sought?
- Whether exterior pain is greater than interior?
- Of the species of sorrow.