Of Delight Considered in Itself
We must now consider delight and sadness. Concerning delight four things must be considered:
- Delight in itself;
- The causes of delight;
- Its effects;
- Its goodness and malice.
Under the first head there are eight points of inquiry:
- Whether delight is a passion?
- Whether delight is subject to time?
- Whether it differs from joy?
- Whether it is in the intellectual appetite?
- Of the delights of the higher appetite compared with the delight of the lower;
- Of sensible delights compared with one another;
- Whether any delight is non-natural?
- Whether one delight can be contrary to another?