Of the Passions of the Soul in Particular: and First, of Love
We have now to consider the soul's passions in particular, and
- the passions of the concupiscible faculty;
- the passions of the irascible faculty.
The first of these considerations will be threefold: since we shall consider
- Love and hatred;
- Desire and aversion;
- Pleasure and sadness.
Concerning love, three points must be considered:
- Love itself;
- The cause of love;
- The effects of love. Under the first head there are four points of inquiry:
- Whether love is in the concupiscible power?
- Whether love is a passion?
- Whether love is the same as dilection?
- Whether love is properly divided into love of friendship, and love of concupiscence?