Of the Subject of the Soul's Passions
We must now consider the passions of the soul: first, in general; secondly, in particular. Taking them in general, there are four things to be considered:
- Their subject:
- The difference between them:
- Their mutual relationship:
- Their malice and goodness.
Under the first head there are three points of inquiry:
- Whether there is any passion in the soul?
- Whether passion is in the appetitive rather than in the apprehensive part?
- Whether passion is in the sensitive appetite rather than in the intellectual appetite, which is called the will?